Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fun Car Games with the Kiddos




1. I spy with my little eye...
 
This is an obvious game to play in the car, but I have to put it on this list. Scarlett loves this game! Also, when we first started playing this game, Scarlett thought that she could just think of the things she wanted us to guess instead of actually seeing them. This game was a good opportunity to teach her the difference. 

2.       Days of the week (clap clap)

I’ve been trying to teach Scarlett the days of the week, so I went searching on YouTube to see if there are any fun songs that might help me teach her. I found a video with the Adams Family theme music to learn the days of the week that I thought was kind of cute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPzIbbvoiMA
You don’t need the video, just sing it in the car and the kids will follow along. Scarlett gets a kick out of the song even though she doesn’t know the Adams Family movie. Plus, Scarlett and Troy get to clap and sing and love it!

3.   Yummy Yummy I got Chocolate in my Tummy!

This is a game I just came up with out of the blue. One day I just started singing “Yummy yummy I got ice cream in my tummy” . Then Scarlett started singing back “Yummy yummy I got cake in my tummy”. And then we just started taking turns and doing this at random times, but mostly we do it in the car now. Kids love coming up with food they want in their tummy. I’m not going to lie, sometimes this game goes to a weird place. For example, the other day Scarlett said “yummy yummy I got butts in my tummy”. Why she thought this was hilarious is a mystery to me, but all kids get a kick out of making their parents squirm. 

4.       What Starts with the letter and what letter does the word start with?

I love playing this game with Scarlett because I feel like I’m helping to get her ready for kindergarten. We sound out the words together and take turns so she doesn’t get overwhelmed with a too much at once. My son Troy also gets a kick out of this because we’re emphasizing each letter sound and he’s learning words as well. Here’s an example: “What starts with the letter B?” Or “What letter does the word House start with?”


5.       What animal makes this sound?

Most kids love making animal sounds and listening to their parents make animal sounds. This game is fun because your children can make their favorite animal sounds and you both take turns guessing. You can also take this opportunity to teach your children more about animals after one of you guesses the animal correctly. Troy also chimes in on this game making his own sounds or mimicking the sounds we are making and sometimes he's able to guess the animal as well. 


6.       Red light, Green light, Yellow Light

This is another obvious car game, but it’s educational and fun. However, it may backfire at times. For example, whenever I go through a yellow light, Scarlett gets very upset with me and tells me "Mommy!! You're suppose to slow down and stop".

7.       Mini Stories 

My daughter loves to tell stories that she makes up. This gives great insight into what your child is thinking about; their fears, dreams, wishes, etc. Taking turns telling stories also gives you an opportunity to be creative and teach your child an important message if you chose to. Troy also enjoys listening to Scarlett's stories and sometimes he just stares at her adoringly while she speaks. Scarlett is very animated and creative with her stories.

8.       If I were…

If I were a fireman what would I do? This is a great way for you to teach your children about the different professions. This can be a game of taking turns or you can just continue to ask your child about different professions to get a better understanding of what they know and then add to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment